Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Welcome

I'd like to welcome you to my blog. I decided to write after receiving lots of positive feedback from friends when I post recipes on Facebook.

Food and cooking are my passion (yet another reason for an on-and-off again relationship with Weight Watchers . . . but I digress). I started cooking when I was three. Or rather, when I would pull a chair up to the counter and insist on helping my mom (who was a world-class cook) to cook. I drove her crazy! She didn't want me bugging her while she was cooking, and I was determined to bug her while she was cooking. One day, my father came into the kitchen and said something like, "Tina, for God's sake. We'll all have more peace if you let the child help. She can stir or mix." My mother relented and that started me on the path of cooking. By the time I was nine, I was happily cooking most of the food for my parents' annual, semi-formal Christmas party. All mommy had to do was find the recipes from Grand Diplome Cooking Course and show them to me. Nothing was too hard. She was delighted and I was thrilled!

Mommy taught me in stages. I remember her focusing on specific cooking challenges: beating egg whites into stiff peaks; making pie crust that was flaky and light and not coarse and chewy; understanding the difference between folding and beating (and being appropriately horrified when Aunt Ruth beat the egg whites into the cream cheese mixture for the pineapple cheese cake); making a proper roux for gravy; how to use a double-boiler; etc. Every challenge was a chance to experience the joys of cooking, which to me, is like an art form.

I've been cooking now for 40 years and have only grown in my love for it!

Welcome to my blog!

Eva

3 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see what you cook up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great recipes! Cooking is an expression of oneself. Just read "Like Water for Chocolate" by Laura Esquivel. And don't forget to put a bit of lemon zest on your pastas for that extra lift in flavor!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love lemon zest on pastas and risottos!! Good stuff!

    I will be making homemade lasagne noodles and a modified Alfredo sauce this evening.

    ReplyDelete