Monday, August 22, 2011

Honey Chicken Wings with Tumeric

Ok, by now you've figured out that I dearly love chicken wings, especially when they're marinated and broiled, baked or grilled.

And you've also figured out that I tend to love the cuisines of Southeast Asia. Many of the recipes for chicken wings on my blog are from either Malaysia and Thailand.

Usually the marinades are heavily spiced. It's nice, however, to change things up a bit. So I decided that I wanted a milder marinade for the wings.

I was looking on rasamalaysia.com and found a nice, simple recipe. It didn't have the same level of spices that many other Malaysian chicken wing marinades do, so I was curious to try it. Tumeric and chili powder are the main spices.

Recipe: Honey Wings with Turmeric
Ingredients:
1 lb chicken wings (middle section)
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon turmeric powder
1/8 teaspoon chili powder
2 inches ginger (skin peeled)

Method:
Prepare the ginger


by pounding with a mortar and pestle or grinding with small food processor. Extract the juice by squeezing with your hand and discard the ginger. (I used a garlic press and kept a bit of the ginger pieces.)


Add the honey.


Then the soy sauce.


And the salt.


And the colorful tumeric!


And chili powder, for a little kick.

The marinade looks like this:


Chicken wings cleaned in white vinegar. You could also use lemon.


Marinate the chicken wings with the ginger juice and all the seasonings above for 1-2hours.


Grill or bake them in oven (at 375 degree F) for 20-25 minutes until cooked or golden brown. Serve hot.



Cook’s Notes (SECRET TECHNIQUES revealed):
1. At Asian restaurants, chefs often pan-fried satay and then grill them over the stove top flame to get that perfectly charred surface.
2. I baked my honey chicken wings for 20 minutes in the oven (when they just cooked through) and transfered the wings out of the oven. I then held the honey wing with a tong, and grill them over my gas stove top (set to medium heat). Voila. You’ve got picture perfect grilled honey chicken wings that are juicy and moist. :)

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful post, so many details all the photos exactly what I need when I want to make this myself

    Thanks for submitting to eRecipecards.com. Everything came through perfect. Hope to see you posting again!

    ReplyDelete