Monday, August 29, 2011

Drop Sugar Cookies

Yesterday was the worst of Hurricane Irene and I decided that baking would be a good idea. But I was not really in the mood for a lot of fussing with a complicated recipe. So cookies seemed to be a good idea. Given my mood, I didn't feel like dealing with cookie dough that had to be either frozen or rolled. My lazy attitude led me to focus on drop cookies.

I am a fan of simplicity. Drop sugar cookies certain fell into that category. With little searching, I came across a straightforward recipe on allrecipes.com. I cut the recipe in half and still had plenty of cookies.

The drop sugar cookies were easy to make and the results were perfect on a rainy, windswept day. I tend to prefer crunchy as opposed to chewy cookies. These came out nice and crisp. I served them with chamomile anise tea. For a variation, you could add ground coriander and ground cardamon.

Enjoy!


Ingredients

1 cup butter
1 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
1 cup white sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/2 cup white sugar for decoration

Directions

Preheat oven 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

In a large bowl, cream together the butter, oil, confectioners' sugar, and 1 cup white sugar


until light and fluffy.


Beat in eggs one at a time, and stir in the vanilla.




Combine the flour, baking soda, and cream of tartar;


stir into the creamed mixture.



Roll dough into 1 inch balls, and then roll the balls in remaining white sugar. Place onto ungreased cookie sheets, and flatten with a fork.


Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the edges begin to brown. Cool on wire racks.



No comments:

Post a Comment