Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Curried Chicken Thighs


I looked in my refrigerator, trying to figure out what to make for dinner.  I had already defrosted chicken thighs.  I pulled out potatoes,


cauliflower, 



onion and cilantro -- perfect for making a nice curry. 

Not all curries are the same, of course. And the taste depends on the combination of spices used in the curry powder. Over the years, I have learned to make my own curry powder by dry-roasting the spices, grinding them in a coffee grinder and then combining them.  Typically, dry curry powders (as opposed to the wet ones common throughout Southeast Asia) feature turmeric, chili powder, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, cardamon seeds, some kind of pepper, fennel seeds, and other spices.  I tend to like hot curries, but you can make mild curry powders with ease.

I took a few minutes to look online for recipes and came across one on the Food Network site that received very positive reviews:  http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/curried-chicken-thighs-recipe/index.html

Since I had some leftover coconut milk, I used that instead of heavy cream.  You could probably just as easily use plain whole-milk yogurt, which I find adds a nice tang.  I also increased the amount of cumin, decreased the amount of cinnamon, and added a bit of chili powder and ginger. I didn't have fresh peas and was offended by the thought of using frozen peas, so I just omitted them.  You could add spinach for green color and added nutrition.

Enjoy!

Ingredients

  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 6 chicken thighs
  • Salt and pepper
  • 1 cup chopped onion
  • 3 teaspoons curry
  • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon cumin
  • 2 carrots, peeled and sliced on diagonal
  • 1 1/2 cups low sodium chicken stock
  • 1 cup broccoli florets
  • 1/4 cup heavy cream
  • 3/4 cup frozen peas

Directions

Heat oil in large skillet and stir in butter to melt. Season chicken thighs with salt and pepper. Cook thighs skin side down until golden brown. Flip chicken and continue to cook until golden brown. 

Remove chicken to a plate. 



Stir in onions and cook until tender. Stir in curry, cayenne, cinnamon and cumin and cook until aromas are released. 


Stir in carrots and toss to coat. 


Add chicken stock and bring to a simmer. 

 Place chicken thighs back into skillet and stir in broccoli. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes to cook chicken. Stir in cream and peas. Season to taste. Serve with basmati rice 




1 comment:

  1. I'd like to invite you to join our site www.erecipe.com . I really enjoy your blog and recipes and I think the over 8,000 unique daily visitors to eRecipe will too.
    By joining eRecipe, we will provide the Nutrition Facts for every recipe you post in which you could customize and add to your blog. Viewers need and love to know the nutritional facts. Its a free service that we offer to blogs and recipes we really love. It looks professional and your members will love it.
    Simply visit www.erecipe.com or contact me at michelle@erecipe.com. We look forward having you in our network!

    ReplyDelete