Saturday, June 4, 2011

Good breakast in Phnom Penh

There are two places that I usually frequent for breakfast, both of which are located near my hotel on the riverfront. Karma, where I had the delicious seafood tomyum soup for dinner last night. And Anjali's is next door to Karma's. They serve Western, hearty breakfast.

But I wanted to get away from eggs and meat, so I went to another place that specializes in high-quality, homemade pastries. It's got a cutsey name: The Blue Pumpkin (http://www.tbpumpkin.com/html/). It is expanding and has several locations throughout Cambodia. It's just a block down from Karma's and Anjali's. It reminds me of the kinds of hip bakery/restaurants that you find in any major US city. But that's ok. It was what I was in the mood for.

You enter the bakery and the first floor features ice cream and a nice selection of croissants. I saw everything from almond to chocolate, to mango/passionfruit. There are cinnamon rolls, turnovers, muffins, and various types of breads. Plus coffee and tea. Upstairs features a lounge and table service.

I had time to spare so I went upstairs. On one side against the wall are several overstuffed mini-couches. People recline on them with their shoes off. Then there are regular tables. The floors and walls are blindingly white.

I was hungry so I ordered a bowl of fruit salad ($2.00). I also ordered the bread plate, which consisted of two slices of whole-grain bread, a choice of pastry (I chose an apple turnover), fresh-squeezed orange juice and coffee ($3.25).

The fruit salad arrived first and featured a generous bowl of dragon fruit, banana, pineapple and watermelon.


Shortly after the bread plate arrived. The apple turnover was buttery, flaky and full of a lovely soft apple mixture. I thought that I was somewhere in Paris!


The bread was fresh, soft and full of flavor and came accompanied by butter and mango jam, which was a nice local touch. The coffee was rich and strong and the juice, freshly squeezed.

The Blue Pumpkin is a great place if you want a light, but satisfying breakfast. The food is high-quality, the service is good, and the atmosphere is fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment