Monday, May 7, 2012

Molasses Crinkle Cookies

There is something to be said for no-frills simplicity.  You can tell from many of the recipes that I post that  there are often many details that are time-consuming.  The end result is well worth the effort, but the process of getting there can be arduous.

Every now and again, I like to whip up simple confections that do not require lots of time, thinking, or ingredients.  Guess where you can find such recipes?  On the back label of the ingredient!

For a while now, I have been craving something sweet made with molasses, but I did not want to make gingerbread.  I wanted something with crunch to it.  I looked in the cupboard and pulled out the bottle of Grandma's Molasses.


The back label had a very easy recipe for molasses crinkles, which took about 10 minutes to make.

I had run out of vegetable shortening and had to use butter.  Whatever.  I mixed the softened butter with the brown sugar, egg and molasses.


As you can tell, I was feeling very lazy.  I didn't bother to sift the dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, salt, cloves, cinnamon and ginger) together first.


The batter needs to chill in the refrigerator.  I left it in there for about 45 minutes or so.


After rolling the batter into walnut-size balls, i dipped them in sugar and sprinkled water over each one.


I baked them a little longer than the recommended 10 minutes, as I wanted them to be very crisp.


They're simple, tasty, and go well with tea.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment